Hello, my name is Colin Post. I'm a doctoral candidate in the Information and Library Science program at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, where I am also working on a masters degree in Art History. My research interests include histories of cultural heritage institutions, all things archives, and digital preservation, and in particular the preservation of digital and net-based artworks.
Before moving to North Carolina, I received a MFA in Poetry from the University of Montana. My creative work investigates histories of poetic form, and the materialities of analog and digital media.
Click here for my complete CV.
Feel free to get in touch with me!
- Post, Colin, Patrick Golden, and Ryan Shaw. "Never the Same Stream: netomat, XLink, and Metaphors of Web Documents." In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Document Engineering 2018, 13:1-13:10. DocEng' 18. Halifax, Nova Scotia: ACM. doi:10.1145/3209280.3209530. (nominated for best paper!)
- Post, Colin. 2017. “Preservation Practices of New Media Artists: Challenges, Strategies, and Attitudes in the Personal Management of Artworks.” Journal of Documentation 73 (4): 716-732. doi:10.1108/JD-09-2016-0116.
- Post, Colin. 2017. "Building a Living, Breathing Archive: A Review of Appraisal Theories and Approaches for Web Archives." Preservation, Digital Technology & Culture 46 (2). doi:10.1515/pdtc-2016-0031.
- Post, Colin. 2017. “Ensuring the Legacy of Self-Taught and Local Artists: A Collaborative Framework for Preserving Artists’ Archives.” Art Documentation 36 (1): 73–90. doi:10.1086/691373.
- Post, Colin. 2018. "Supporting Artists' Personal Archives." In The Complete Guide to Personal Digital Archiving, edited by Brianna H. Marshall, 157-168. Chicago: ALA Editions.
- Post, Colin. 2017. "The Ever-Shifting Landscape: Mapping the Present and Future of Digital Art Histories." In The Handbook of Art and Design Librarianship, edited by Judy Dyki and Paul Glassman, Second edition, 213-24. London: Facet Publishing.
- Post, Colin. 2017. “The Unending Lives of Net-Based Artworks: Web Archives, Browser Emulators, and New Conceptual Frameworks.” In Researchers, Practitioners and Their Use of the Archived Web. London. doi:10.14296/resaw.0005.
- "Stalking, Shredding, and Streaming: Reading E-Lit Through Artists' Alternative Browsers." Presentation at the Electronic Literature Organization Conference and Festival, August 13 - 17, 2018, Montréal, Canada.
- "Artists’ Studio Archives." Workshop at the National Forum on Ethics & Archiving the Web, March 22 - 24, 2018, New York, NY.
- "Archiving Workshops for Artists: Lessons from the Artists' Studio Archives Project." Presentation at the Art Libraries Society of North America 46th Annual Conference, February 25 - March 1, 2018, New York, NY.
- "Preservation Practices of New Media Artists." Webinar presentation at the Digital Preservation Coalition, February 8, 2017, York, UK. http://dpconline.org/events/past-events/preserving-new-media-webinar
- "Meet the Artist: Cornelio Campos." Conversation between Colin Post and Cornelio Campos as part of the Durham County Library's Humanities Program series, October 30, 2016, Durham, NC. https://youtu.be/77S1G6JvIEU
- "Creativity Around the Corner: Artists' Archives at the Durham County Library." Poster presentation at Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, July 31 - August 6, 2016, Atlanta, GA.
- "Designing and Delivering a Digital Archiving Workshop for Studio Artists." Personal Digital Archiving Conference, May 12-14, 2016, Ann Arbor, MI.
- “Voices From Every Angle: An Experiment in Documenting Contemporary Art.” Society of American Archivists Research Forum, August 18, 2015, Cleveland, OH.
- “The Collapse of Romanticism in The Octopus.” Western Literature Association Conference, October 5-8, 2011, Missoula, MT.
- “The Production of Space in The Crux,” Charlotte Perkins Gilman Conference, June 17-19, 2011, Missoula, MT.
akhilleus is an ongoing poem, following a network of actants engaged in poetic interventions into public spaces: virtual, cyber, physical, anywhere. This poem is a hub, with many discrete and related pieces emerging from this work.
Below is a list of my poetic publications, with links for everything available online.
- “Telos Haunts Billboards.” Proceedings from the Document Academy Volume 4, Issue 1, 2017.
- Excerpt from Lynx Perpetual Lynx, Tarpaulin Sky Magazine, online, July 2015
- “The figure is an instance of”, small po[r]tions, 4th Issue, March 2015
- Excerpt from Lynx Perpetual Lynx, Deluge, 3rd Issue, September 2014
- “Blame not / lutes broken to / hondes” and “Some Diagrams of Gleytch and Skin”, Hoax Publication, November 2013
- “billboards”, “wintervalu”, “werrtheaudio”, textsound, Issue 12, Winter 2012
- “Mural Valus”, Pismire, third flight, 2011
- “Motel Matchbooks”, Pittsburgh IsReads, Summer 2009
- Aleph in the Cellar, Open Thread 2009