My current research focuses on the information practices of artists creatively working with digital technologies. In particular, I am interested in how artists are using digital and networked technologies to curate these artworks in ways that challenge existing models for how art is disseminated, experienced, and cared for over the long-term. As digital art faces preservation concerns shortly after the point of creation, artists and galleries are often the first stewards of these works. I investigate how artists and gallerists develop emergent repertoires of practices to care for these artworks, and how they find information and learn new skills to carry out these activities. These practices differ in key ways from the preservation and conservation strategies in museums and archives, often involving the active collaboration between artists and the curators running experimental galleries and exhibition spaces.
Below is a list of my publications, talks, presentations, and other artifacts of my research. I'll occassionally post updates about my ongoing research projects on my blog.
- Post, Colin, Alexandra Chassanoff, Christopher A. Lee, Andrew Rabkin, Yinglong Zhang, Katherine Skinner, and Sam Meister. 2019. "Digital Curation at Work: Modeling Workflows for Digital Archival Materials." In Proceedings of the 19th ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, 39-48. JCDL '19. Urbana-Champaign, IL: IEEE Computer Society Press. doi:10.1109/JCDL.2019.00016. (nominated for best paper!)
- Post, Colin, Patrick Golden, and Ryan Shaw. 2018. "Never the Same Stream: netomat, XLink, and Metaphors of Web Documents." In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Document Engineering 2018, 13:1-13:10. DocEng '18. Halifax, Nova Scotia: ACM. doi:10.1145/3209280.3209530. (nominated for best paper!)
- Post, Colin. 2017. "Preservation Practices of New Media Artists: Challenges, Strategies, and Attitudes in the Personal Management of Artworks." Journal of Documentation 73 (4): 716-732. doi:10.1108/JD-09-2016-0116.
- Post, Colin. 2017. "Building a Living, Breathing Archive: A Review of Appraisal Theories and Approaches for Web Archives." Preservation, Digital Technology & Culture 46 (2). doi:10.1515/pdtc-2016-0031.
- Post, Colin. 2017. "Ensuring the Legacy of Self-Taught and Local Artists: A Collaborative Framework for Preserving Artists' Archives." Art Documentation 36 (1): 73-90. doi:10.1086/691373.
- Post, Colin. 2018. "Supporting Artists' Personal Archives." In The Complete Guide to Personal Digital Archiving, edited by Brianna H. Marshall, 157-168. Chicago: ALA Editions.
- Post, Colin. 2017. "The Ever-Shifting Landscape: Mapping the Present and Future of Digital Art Histories." In The Handbook of Art and Design Librarianship, edited by Judy Dyki and Paul Glassman, Second edition, 213-24. London: Facet Publishing.
- Post, Colin. 2017. "The Unending Lives of Net-Based Artworks: Web Archives, Browser Emulators, and New Conceptual Frameworks." In Researchers, Practitioners and Their Use of the Archived Web. London. doi:10.14296/resaw.0005.
Posters and Presentations
- "Dark Arts: Artists' Information Practices in the Care of Digital Artworks and Archives." Poster presentation at the Association for Library and Information Science Education Conference, September 24-26, 2019, Knoxville, TN. http://hdl.handle.net/2142/105294
- "Defining the Field: What is at Stake in the Care of Artist Archives?" Presentation and panel discussion at The Rapidly Changing Landscape of Archive Stewardship in Contemporary Art Symposium, Hauser & Wirth Institute, March 22, 2019, New York, NY.
- "OSSArcFlow: What Differences Make a Difference in Digital Curation Workflows?" Poster presentation at iPRES, September 24 - 27, 2018, Boston, MA. https://osf.io/9dsw3/ (authored with Andrew Rabkin, Christopher Lee, Yinglong Zhang, Jessica Meyerson, Alexandra Chassanoff, Katherine Skinner, and Sam Meister)
- "Stalking, Shredding, and Streaming: Reading E-Lit Through Artists' Alternative Browsers." Presentation at the Electronic Literature Organization Conference and Festival, August 13 - 17, 2018, Montréal, Canada.
- "Artists' Studio Archives." Workshop at the National Forum on Ethics & Archiving the Web, March 22 - 24, 2018, New York, NY.
- "Archiving Workshops for Artists: Lessons from the Artists' Studio Archives Project." Presentation at the Art Libraries Society of North America 46th Annual Conference, February 25 - March 1, 2018, New York, NY.
- "Preservation Practices of New Media Artists." Webinar presentation at the Digital Preservation Coalition, February 8, 2017, York, UK. http://dpconline.org/events/past-events/preserving-new-media-webinar
- "Meet the Artist: Cornelio Campos." Conversation between Colin Post and Cornelio Campos as part of the Durham County Library's Humanities Program series, October 30, 2016, Durham, NC. https://youtu.be/77S1G6JvIEU
- "Creativity Around the Corner: Artists' Archives at the Durham County Library." Poster presentation at Society of American Archivists Annual Meeting, July 31 - August 6, 2016, Atlanta, GA.
- "Designing and Delivering a Digital Archiving Workshop for Studio Artists." Personal Digital Archiving Conference, May 12-14, 2016, Ann Arbor, MI.
- "Voices From Every Angle: An Experiment in Documenting Contemporary Art." Society of American Archivists Research Forum, August 18, 2015, Cleveland, OH.
- "The Collapse of Romanticism in The Octopus." Western Literature Association Conference, October 5-8, 2011, Missoula, MT.
- "The Production of Space in The Crux," Charlotte Perkins Gilman Conference, June 17-19, 2011, Missoula, MT.